Sunday, July 28, 2024

Right Now

Early elementary years, I began piano lessons, which continued for the next ten to twelve years. That was a lot of lessons, hours practicing scales, not to mention dreaded recitals. I'm not sure what the end-game was, that is, for what I was preparing. Jesus said, "If you love Me, you will keep My commandments" (John 14:15) then Peter refers to us as "obedient children" (1 Peter 1:14, ESV). For sure, obedience to God matters greatly and it pleases Him; but, aside from hearing His "well done" one day, are we expecting our obedience to lead us to some great success? As true followers of Jesus, we should see God's purpose being fulfilled in daily faithful obedience - he's using our obedience now in the process of making us holy. "For it is God Who works in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure." (Philippians 2:13, ESV). Like my musical training, there were lots of opportunities along the way, not just an anticipated time of success. It's much the same way in our spiritual lives: we're not training for some grand end - God is working in and through us in the daily. Oswald Chambers writes, "If I can stay calm and unperplexed in the middle of turmoil, I’ve already reached the end of God’s purpose. ... If we have a further goal in view, we are not paying enough attention to the present." I suspect there's at least one circumstance in your life right now that God simply wants your obedience, and that obedience will fulfill His purpose for the moment. God's purpose is before you, before me ... right now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home