Thursday, September 12, 2024

Nothing But Christ

Perhaps we all know the thrill of paying the balance on a car or a home then receiving that precious title that says "I own it" ... finally! How is it [then] we miss the delight of knowing ... Christ as our own? Oh how we struggle to declare with our very lives "I am my Beloved's and my Beloved is mine" (Song of Solomon 6:3). Truth is, we stake our claim to all things except Christ Who willingly and joyfully staked His claim on us through His suffering, death and resurrection. What and how much more could He make rightful claim to our hearts! The Puritan prayed, "I can say, 'My Lord and my God,' and that is enough. I thankfully give up my claim to everything else. I will never again say, 'My house is mine,' or 'My wealth is mine.' I myself am not my own." (Richard Alleine, Piercing Heaven). The ideology of this world is to gathers rather than to gives-up, which is contrary to Jesus' life and teaching. When will we learn "the way down is the way up - to be low is to be high - to have nothing is to possess all - to give is to receive" ("The Valley of Vision" prayer). As God's own, we should acknowledge the great exchange: Jesus has given Himself for us - it is an "infinite sum, for myself, a mere nothing." There remains no greater joy than to know and claim ... nothing but Christ.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home