Monday, September 27, 2010

Leaky Buckets

Henry sang, “There’s a hole in the bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza; there’s a hole in the bucket, dear Liza, a hole.”  Liza sang back, “Then fix it, dear Henry, dear Henry, death Henry; then fix it, dear Henry, fix it.”  Henry answered, “With what shall I fix it, dear Liza, dear Liza; with what shall I fix it, dear Liza, with what?”  This cantata was [seemingly] endless and ended back at the original problem: the hole in the bucket!

Micah wrote, “With what shall I come before the Lord and bow myself before God on high?” (6:7)  This question carries a presumption: the Christian desires to come before the Lord, to bow down to God.  Furthermore, Verse 7 asks what “delights” the Lord.  My greatest fear is I do not ask these things of myself early or enough.  How deep into the day before I bow to and humble myself before The Father?  God answers this “with what” question: “He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you but to do justly, and to love kindness and mercy, and to humble yourself and walk humbly with your God.” (V.8)  Here is righteous-living summed up: the Christian walk is not DIY (Do It Yourself)!  Righteous choices and decisions are never personal, selfish, or sinful  bias.  They are fleshed out in submitted and obedient hearts.  The new man, born-again, is no longer weighed down with the “spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient.” (Ephesians 2:2)  Henry and Liza never fixed the hole in their bucket and [as buckets go], it was pretty useless.  So it is with Believers who do not humble themselves to God’s Word and His divine purpose.  Much like the leaky bucket, we are ineffective in His service.  I challenge you today to seek God early and make bowing of heart and spirit a daily routine.  Let us be done with leaky buckets!

Dear Lord,
Bow my heart to Your Word, to Your Spirit, to Your Will.  Make me an useful and effective vessel for Your service.  In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home