Monday, November 7, 2011

Beauty of Debt

To be completely debt-free is nice … well, I suppose it is.  I vaguely remember when we lived in [what Mr. Bill calls] a cracker box and the only pitter-patter we knew was the sound of the furnace about to cut on … or out!

God declares all Believers live in debt!  Not to Him, of course, because our sin-debt is paid-in-full by the Spotless Lamb.   However, we live indebted to others.  Yes, even those … PEOPLE … those people who frustrate and aggravate us, those who make us resolve I’m done – I quit - I’m not taking any more.  Paul writes “owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.” (Romans 13:8)  Do what, Lord?  Surely You don’t mean that boss, that co-worker, that neighbor, that relative, that-that-that … PERSON who gets under my skin, pushes my buttons, grieves my spirit!  Surely not, Lord?  Actually, God’s Word says if we truly comprehend “thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself” and “love worketh no ill to his neighbor,” fulfilling this love-law keeps us indebted (V.9-10).  The law of love affirms an honest walk and Christ-like response for the Believer (V.13-14).  Amazingly, living indebted to Christ’s law of love is quite the contrary to the restraints of material debt; it frees us to be known “even as also I am known” (1 Corinthians 13:11).  Yes, when we love in such a way, the soul declares along with the Lord … “Oh, the beauty of living in debt!”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home