Friday, August 17, 2012

Oh! Be Little!

Chicken Little wasn't exactly happy with his "little" chicken self.  Most people I know who are little (as in short) wouldn’t choose that height for themselves.  I am 5'8" and have never considered myself short nor especially tall, however, I find myself struggling to reach things shoved to the depths of my kitchen cabinets. It is, therefore, especially sweet there are tall people living here although I must endure some verbal abuse about being ... short.

G. Tersteegen wrote "how lovely it is to be nothing when God is all."  Most of us behave much "too big for our britches," something I heard much about as a child.  Taking that attitude with Granny was risky business but guaranteed trouble with God.  Getting taken down "a notch or two" by Granny's switch is quite mild compared to God's lessons in humility.  These lessons are necessary, however, when I become wrapped up in me-myself-I, losing all usefulness to God -- quite a contrast to the character of Jesus Christ. Jeremiah 14:5 says, "Seekest thou great things for thyself? Seek them not." There are delightful blessings in littleness no matter what Chicken Little thinks.  Oh! Just ... be little!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home