Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Pantyhose Caper

My introduction to pantyhose was most extraordinary – not the usual Mom-daughter trip to town. You should’ve known my Nanny then you could fully appreciate this story. She was such a Godly woman, and her influence on my life immeasurable. One of the many reasons I loved her was her sense of humor and tendency do some really crazy things. It was summer, and Faye (a friend) and I were hanging out in the living room when Nanny appeared in the doorway moaning and groaning and looking like some sort of swamp creature – she had a pair of pantyhose stretched over her head! Faye and I squealed in horror, then [as was also common with Nanny], the laughing set in. We literally laughed for hours!

As Christians, we often try to hide our hearts from the world. Nanny didn’t even look like herself – those pantyhose had her face all squished. It’s amazing how we [too] mask who we really are inside deceiving others and even ourselves; the condition of our hearts may appear fine when in reality it is not. Oh, to have a contented heart! Paul said, "But godliness with contentment is great gain." (1 Timothy 6:6) A contented heart, a Godly heart, longs for nothing more. It finds it fullest joy in Christ alone! A huge part of my grandparents’ testimony was their contentedness in this life. They didn’t have a lot of money but they were rich beyond this world, and lived like it! They were as real-as-it-gets! To be real – what a challenge! Living a life undistorted, transparent, revealing a heart fully satisfied in Jesus Christ and illuminated by His Spirit. Oh, how I love thinking back to that pantyhose caper, and how much more fun Nanny made wearing pantyhose (on the opposite end). I’m reminded how God wants to be real through me. Let’s be real!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home