Thursday, August 7, 2014

Best Plan

Several months ago, I came across my high school report cards.  What a hoot to reminisce about classes, teachers, and methods of grading from those days.  The grades on a few of the reports were copied by carbon paper!  The current generation probably knows nothing of duplication by carbon or ditto and mimeograph.  Oh, my -- can't you just smell that lovely aroma from those purple-print pages made by ditto copier!

 

How teachable are you?  I made good grades in school; Mr. Bill did not.  I studied hard before tests; Mr. Bill did not.  I graduated with honors; Mr. Bill did not.  Now, before you stand to cheer and applaud me, consider this: Mr. Bill remembers most of what he learned in school; I do not.  A teacher told me one time she wanted her students to “learn” what was taught, not just “regurgitate” information on a test.  Apparently, Mr. Bill learned while I mostly practiced … regurgitation.  The life and times of Babylonian King Nebuchadnezzar is an interesting study in Scripture.  While he reigned a pagan nation and worshiped many gods, Daniel introduced him to the One God. Nebuchadnezzar was brought low (humbled) before Almighty God, and for seven years deemed a mad man, living like an animal.  At the end, here is what he said to his people, “It has seemed good to me to show the signs and wonders that the Most High God has done for me.  How great are His signs, how mighty His wonders! His Kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and His Dominion endures from generation to generation.” (4:2-3).  Beautiful words from the mouth of an otherwise pagan king. Scripture nor history is clear whether King Nebuchadnezzar was true to the One God till his death, and we can wonder how he could possibly return to a divided heart, but do we not suffer the same disease!  Although James wrote of the untamed tongue, his point went much deeper to the heart of man: "With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse people who are made in the likeness of God. From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers, these things ought not to be so. Does a spring pour forth from the same opening both fresh and salt water? Can a fig tree, my brothers, bear olives, or a grapevine produce figs? Neither can a salt pond yield fresh water." (3:9-12).  Hearts that toggle between what pleases the Spirit and the flesh are divided -- any way you spin it.  In contrast, Christians who walk humbly before the Face of God (Coram Deo) are exhilarating (breathtaking) to one another, and stand courageously against an evil world.  Like King Nebuchadnezzar, God still takes folks to "the woodshed" to teach and discipline but [personally] I'd prefer to not go there!  Jesus modeled His Way while among us and He's given us His Way in writing -- why not just spare ourselves the trouble and wholly commit to His Way?  It’s the best plan!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home