Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Jehovah-Guaranteed

Answers such as “most likely” or “probably so” aren’t much of a guarantee.  May I ride with you to town … most likely.  Can I count on you to bake cookies for the meeting … probably so.  Hmmm.

 

Psalm 73 is quite an emotional ride for the righteous man who knows the Goodness of God toward the righteous yet observes how the ungodly prosper.  He writes, “… my feet had almost stumbled, my steps had nearly slipped … when I thought how to understand this, it seemed to me a wearisome task.” (V.2, 16).  The world sees the trusting Christian as out-of-touch, even weak and misled, as nations and cultures welcome and embrace sinfulness.  The psalmist wrote, “And they say, ‘How can God know? Is there knowledge in the Most High?’” (V.11).  Such is the mocking of the world when Believers press to stay true to God’s precepts.  We can feel the writer’s struggle to understand as well as the risk of stumbling and slipping!  He continues with trust: “Nevertheless, I am continually with You; You hold my right hand. You guide me with Your Counsel … For me it is good to be near God.” (V.23-24, 28).  The Christian who remains faithful experiences complete satisfaction regardless of what happens to or around him.  When I read this psalm, I do not consider phrases such as “most likely” and “probably so” – they simply do not apply.  Sure – Certain – Firm – Assured – Definite – Absolute … these describe our God.  All spoken and written in His Word is … Jehovah-Guaranteed!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home