Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Glimpses of Him

Just a glimpse is thrilling: whale watchers, bird watchers, etc.  I remember sitting on the screened porch with my Nanny watching for a glimpse of a humming bird.  I kept my eye on the hummingbird feeder, but Nanny could pick ‘em out in the trees!

 

The writer of Hebrews wrote this of Jesus, the Son: “He is the Radiance of the Glory of God, the exact Imprint of His nature …” (1:3a).  Those hummingbirds are so small and so fast, you best not blink or you’ve missed them.  I wonder how many times I’ve missed God, how many times I was so preoccupied with frivolous things I didn’t see Him, how many times I failed to recognize Him.  Psalm 46:10 says, “Be still and know that I am God” but [digging deeper into that beautiful command] there’s more to knowing and seeing God than just being still: we must know Jesus.  Our culture uses the name of God loosely, even irreverently, and often fails to connects the God of the Bible with God’s Son.  People even get nervous at the mention of Jesus, and to be all-inclusive and/or not offend, leave God’s Son out altogether.  If truth matters at all, this cannot be so: “Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets, but in these last days He has spoken to us by His Son.” (Hebrews 1:1-2).  Many times I pray for just a glimpse of God – a precious moment of His Glory revealed – and I know that happens only through Him Who made it possible: Jesus Christ – He Who “after making purification for sins, sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high.” (1:3b).  Together, Nanny and I saw quite a few hummingbirds – what a sweet memory that is.  Graciously, God has given me glimpses of Himself from time-to-time – what blessed previews of  the day I’ll see Him face-to-face, as He is!  Until then, I long for … glimpses of Him.

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home