Thursday, June 16, 2016

Only Jesus

Only is an interesting descriptive.  Consider how many “onlies” we require.  Each morning last week I checked my beach bag before heading to the beach: sunscreen, towels, phone, Kindle, MPG3 player.  If that sounds like a lot, you should see what Mr. Bill drags to the beach to fish in the surf!  He hauls it in a wagon!

 

These lines from a Puritan prayer convicted me this morning: “Forgive me if I have tried to add anything to the one foundation, if I have unconsciously relied upon my knowledge, experience, deeds, and not seen them as filthy rags, if I have attempted to complete what is perfect in Christ.”  How do you “complete” what is perfect!  Do I pray longer, study more, add another book to my library – all these may strengthen my walk with and focus on Christ but that cannot improve on what Christ has already accomplished at the cross and in the tomb!  When asked about their “Religious Preference,” a family of refugees from the war-torn country of Burma, they did not answer Baptist or Methodist or Catholic; they emphatically exclaimed, “Jesus!  Jesus!”   It is Christ alone – no other, nothing else – in Whom we hope and live.  The Puritan adds, “May my cry be always, Only Jesus! Only Jesus!   Jesus, Jesus, Blessed Jesus – Oh for Grace to trust Him more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home