Thursday, February 9, 2017

Make A Memory

Aren’t you glad God gave us the ability to remember?  We joke about forgetfulness - and it’s good to forget some things - but I'm so glad my Grands remember me when they've not seen me in [too many] days.  I'm so happy I can recall fun times spent with girlfriends.  And, some days I’m simply delighted I remember the way home without bread crumbs!

 

Remembering is important to God!  Every time we see a rainbow, it's a sign of remembrance - God remembering His covenant with the earth (Genesis 9:9-13).  Repeatedly throughout Israel’s history, even when God's people failed to remember Him, God faithfully remembered them.  In the New Testament, there are many passages of remembrance, and one that encourages me is in 1 Thessalonians 1:2-3: “We give thanks to God always for you all, making mention of you in our prayers; Remembering without ceasing your work of faith, and labour of love, and patience of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ, in the sight of God our Father.” Here's what Paul was saying: every time we pray we remember and thank God for your devotion to Christ – the accomplishments of your hands because of your beliefs, how you trouble yourselves and toil because of brotherly love, and that you stay joyful in the expectation of and confidence in Christ before God.  Now, don't you imagine those Thessalonian Christians just loved reading this letter over and over!  What uplifting words!  Last night, my Pastor led us through numerous verses about how church people should be toward one another: love and honor one another (Romans 12:10), be kind and compassionate to one another (Ephesians 4:32), encourage one another (1 Thessalonians 5:11), pray for one another (James 5:16).  Yes I know [generally speaking] Christians haven’t done this very well, nonetheless it’s right and good to do so.  Have you spoken words lately to encourage someone?  Let us always remember – that is, never forget – God uses the small things we do in big ways, making them long-remembered!  Make a memory for someone this weekend!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home