Sunday, May 14, 2023

God - The All

When was the last time you were "well pleased" with yourself - you stepped back and just admired what you had done? King Nebuchadnezzar took such a pause - "The king said thoughtfully, 'Is not this the great Babylon which I myself have built as the royal residence and seat of government by the might of my power and for the honor and glory of my majesty?'" (Daniel 4:29). How familiar this should sound to us: resting contentedly in our places, seasons and circumstances, crediting ourselves with some mighty fine management of our lives. "While the words were still in the king's mouth, a voice came from heaven, saying, 'O King Nebuchadnezzar, to you it is declared: "The kingdom has been removed from you."'" (V.30). In one blink-and-burp the king's self-righteous majesty was revealed as folly. Oh, make no mistake, this is not some fable of Biblical notoriety - no! This was (and is) a wake-up call from The Most High God: "I am The Lord; that is My Name; My glory I give to no other" (Isaiah 42:8). God is altogether and abundantly gracious and offers us steadfast peace and contentment in His All-Sufficiency. The Puritan prayed, "Thou art All in all, and all enjoyments are what to me Thou makest them, and no more." What a comfort He is - what a challenge before us: to rest peacefully in God ... The All.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home