Tuesday, June 25, 2024

Fly Right

Several years ago, I walked into church with my sweater wrong-side-out. Laughing, I later mentioned it to Mister Bill. I wasn't quite prepared for his response, "yeah, I noticed it but figured you knew it." Really? Have you noticed how terribly mixed-up the world is? The word catawampus comes to my mind; that may be a new word to you but we know catawampus when we see it: a slightly tilted picture, a car parked crookedly between the lines, a disheveled book on the shelf. Those with an eye for catawampus know it  well! Too often I find myself gasping at the catawampus views of God's people. Paul reminds us, “If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth.” (Colossians 3:1-2). I suggest we have lost sight of God’s Sovereignty, that He is the Supreme Ruler Who rules all the affairs of the universe including every smidgen of our lives. He IS the Place of Rest for Believers as well as the Center of our world and worship. “For the LORD is a great God, and a great King above all gods … Oh come, let us worship and bow down; let us kneel before the LORD, our Maker!” (Psalm 95:3, 6). The audacity and shame of man are easily summed up in the imagination that you and I are king and lord! My Mom used to say to me: “young lady, you better straighten up and fly right.” I knew exactly what she meant: change your attitude and misbehavin’ ways … or else! Scripture says, “There is a way that seems right to a man, but its end is the way to death.” (Proverbs 14:12). The world may be okay with catawampus thinking-and-living but those who love the Lord must not be! The measure of catawampus (misalignment and crooked) is God's Word - the Source of all Truth. Listen, don't "honk if you love Jesus" – just obey Him! Don't be deceived into thinking "God is my co-pilot" – He is THE Pilot! Like Joshua, let us "choose this day whom you will serve" ... fly right!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home