Thursday, October 10, 2013

Mercy

Watching a grandchild grow brings back so many memories of when my own boys’ were young. One such memory came to me today as I read God’s Word. In elementary school, Dennis (Twin A) was in a jump rope contest, and found himself facing his best buddy in the final competition. Later in the day, as Dennis told me about how Cody won, he said, “Mom, I just killed him with kindness.” I’d say Dennis’s friend won in many ways!

Are you ever just blown away by God’s mercy! John writes, “After this there was a feast of the Jews, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem. Now there is in Jerusalem by the Sheep Gate a pool, in Aramaic called Bethesda, which has five roofed colonnades. In these lay a multitude of invalids – blind, lame, and paralyzed.” (John 5:1-4). Sound much like a modern-day nursing home, which we all know, provide a place for those who can no longer care for themselves and are often neglected by friends and family. The word “Bethesda” means “house of mercy.” John said Jesus went there … deliberately, on-purpose and with a purpose! John goes on to tell us Jesus healed a man who had been crippled for 38 years! Truly, Jesus’ visit was one of mercy! We must ask, how genuinely merciful are we? Without doubt, we live spiritually free in the undeserved mercy of the Living God, but we also carry-on daily in His mercies – they are “new every morning.” (Lamentations 3:22). I must ask myself, “how merciful am I?” Do I show mercy to those in need of my time, my resources, my compassion, my energy? When we consider the earthly life of Jesus, there is one overwhelmingly single purpose – “For I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will but the will of him who sent me.” (John 6:38). To do the will of the Most Merciful; the Creator Who loved the created soul so deeply … extended mercy! The psalmist writes, “ For His merciful kindness is great toward us: and the truth of the LORD endureth for ever. Praise ye the LORD.” (Psalm 117:2). The words of my sweet Dennis strum the chords of my heart to be more merciful, shower merciful kindness like seeds along life’s road. God did and does! Let us become vessels of mercy to others, and glorify The Merciful!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home