Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Good Drink

More than a few healthcare professionals have told me lately I’m not drinking enough water. I have greatly reduced the number of carbonated drinks I consume, replacing them with fruit juices and milk but still [they say], it’s not enough water. Apparently, drinking the “right stuff” is going to be a project!

Spiritual dryness can come to us from [seemingly] nowhere. Before paper, parchment was used, and its production was a tedious process of repetitively soaking and drying animal skins. Even then, the finished parchment was extremely sensitive to its environment and changes in humidity often causing buckling. Books with parchment pages were usually bound with strong wooden boards and clamped tightly shut by metal clasps or leather straps to keep the pages pressed flat. How like parchment is the human soul – its most delicate condition requiring repetitive and tedious refreshment. Nancy Leigh DeMoss wrote, “When I come across someone who’s feeling spiritually dry, I ask them, ‘Have you been singing unto the Lord?’ Praise is a cure for spiritual dryness.” She goes on to remind us of King David’s words in Psalm 63:1, “O God, Thou art my God; early will I seek Thee: my soul thirsteth for Thee, my flesh longeth for Thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is.” God didn’t create us to live in a spiritual wilderness where our souls lack refreshment; His desire is that we dwell in the Land of Promise where springs of living water pour over our souls continually. It is there the Prophet Isaiah said we “drink deeply from The Fountain of salvation!” (Isaiah 12:3) Yes, I will struggle to persevere – to drink more water each day – and, like David, discipline myself to “Lift up my hands in Thy name … My soul shall be satisfied … My Mouth shall praise Thee … When I remember Thee … And meditate on Thee … In the Shadow of Thy wings will I rejoice … My soul follows hard after Thee …” (Psalm 63:4-8). Continually, and from the right Source, take a good drink!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home