Monday, February 8, 2016

Completely

There's a slang expression -- at least in the South -- that works pretty good ... sometimes.  Will you watch the kids while I run an errand -- kinda sorta; May I borrow a dollar -- kinda sorta; Can I expect you at 7:00 -- kinda sorta.

 

Oswald Chambers asks this question: "Are we prepared to pay the cost of sanctification?"  Sanctification (a great Bible word) is the process of becoming more like Christ.  The process is ongoing and quite challenging, one which requires genuine commitment: kinda-sorta commitment doesn't work.  Commitment to anything is costly; usually the costs are of time and interests.  Yes, there is a time and interest consideration, however, the process [of becoming holy] greatest demand is purposefully handing the reins-of-me over to to God.  If we truly believe God is Sovereign, He must first be Sovereign in my personal life! As He and The Father are One, Jesus prayed that we "may become perfectly One." (John 17:22-23).  Not kinda-sorta One, but perfectly (completely) as One in Christ Jesus.  I suggest the difficulty of seeing-thinking-living Christlike, Spirit-filled is rooted in being more kinda-sorta devoted than wholly committed to the process of becoming like Him.  The prayer of every follower of Christ should be: may the God of Peace Himself sanctify me completely and may my whole spirit and soul be kept blameless. (1 Thessalonians 5:22-23).  It’s time to trade in our kinda’s and our sorta’s for … completely!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home