Sunday, February 14, 2016

Destination Rest

Have you ever set out for an undesired destination?  Sure we have!  Perhaps it was in response to an invitation you received to a party or a celebration.  Truth was, there just wasn’t any celebration in you.  You’d much rather be unloading the dishwasher!

 

Here’s an open invitation with a destination each of us should crave: “Come to Me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you, and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find Rest for your soul. For My yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” (Matthew 11:28-30).  Jesus used the metaphor of a heavy-burdensome-cumbersome yoke to illustrate how the cares of this world weigh us down, making us weary.  The nature of Jesus’ yoke, however, is light and easy: take My yoke, bind yourselves to Me, He pleads.  He extends the invitation with tenderness and mercy – consider it closely.  What is the invitation? … Come!  Come where?  … Come unto Me!  Why?  … I will give you Rest!  Who is invited? … All who labor and are heavy laden. How is this Rest possible? … Take My yoke … Learn from me!  What do I learn? … I am gentle and meek!  What’s so special about this Rest?  … Rest for your soul!  Wow, what a destination … Rest!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home